Thursday, February 22, 2007

Orientation Week, Day 4

Oh Thursday... you are so glorious. Today has been the first day I have not been stressed out trying to get something done or figure out how something works. Actually, I have been trying to get this dang scholarship thing done, but it doesn't bother me much. I haven't really done anything today besides finish my book, fill out some paperwork, and work on the scholarship. Yesterday, however, was a very different story.

Yesterday I got to go to the policie station to get my visa validated. I was going to go with the group at 6 AM but, well for anyone who knows me, you probably know how well that went. So I went with another group at 9 AM instead... big mistake. We got there around 10 and they weren't handing out any tickets to get in line for supposedly another hour because too many people were waiting. So we went and walked around, which was cool because I hadn't been to that area of Prague yet.

Actually this is where we ate dinner one Tuesday night. It was a pretty cool place right around the corner from the dorm.

It was a very foggy day. You can barely see the broadcasting tower poking out of the ground.

This is a church designed by someone famous... don't ask me who.


broadcasting tower...


Here are some old people getting free massages. At first we thought it was a morgue with the bodies on display or some weird testing place...

These are the people I was out with.

Hey Baby!?!

A cool cemetery we walked by...

I just liked this building...

Some provacative graffiti..

Actually, there was graffiti everywhere. I think we were in the ghetto...

What would you do for a klondike bar?

So finally we end up back in the waiting room around 11. They were not giving out numbers. I started reading my book. 12 o'clock came. They started giving out numbers, but sooo many people wanted them! So far in the czech republic I have yet to wait in an ORGANIZED line. Everything is a first come, first serve type of deal only with a giant cluster of people... may the pushiest win. So of course I end up with number 640... with somewhere around 50 people in front of me. The rest of my group fared no better... we do not like pushing. It was the same when we signed up for excursions the other day... I'll talk about that in a sec.

This is the waiting room... very exciting as you can see.

We waited and waited. I promise we were not this happy.

Finally we got through at about 2:30. We waited all that time to get a stamp and a signature, and two copies of our passport made. Ridiculous.

So everyone was pretty hungry after that. We decided not to eat lunch in the ghetto and took the metro elsewhere. We stopped to eat at a place right by this church.

We ate at a non-touristy Czech restaurant. It was cafeteria style, so you picked stuff up and paid at the end. (Nothing is all you can eat or free here. You can't even get a cup of water free. And they don't have ice!!! :( The food was good, although mine was an odd combination because nobody here is a vegetarian. Potatoes with tomato sauce on top and spinach... thank goodness Stanley was there.. he is Czech so he helped me figure out something to eat! He also helped us all day at the police station... what a nice guy!

Speaking of nice guys, have I told you about my Czech buddy Martin? Well he is also really nice and has helped me with everything. He came over last night and we went to the pub in the basement for a while. Actually it was really funny because a bunch of people ended up down there and we were teaching each other tongue twisters in other languages... czechs cannot say aluminum lynoleoum 5 times fast!

Here are some other pictures from the rest of the day:

Yes, this is a real street sign... :)

Sunset.

Tomorrow I am going on an excursion with ISC to Škoda Mlada Boleslav & Drabské Světničky & Medieval Tavern Dětěnice
Sightseeing. Basically to the Škoda Fabric and Car Museum, walking in nature, and an evening in Medieval Tavern Dětěnice with unique medieval programme. Then on Saturday I am going to Karlovy Vary for sightseeing in the famous spa resort and Castle Loket. I would have gone on more trips but as I was mentioning the sign ups were really crazy and there was limited space. If you want to see more about these trips go to: http://www.isc.cvut.cz/en/index.php?sub=34&sub_sub=1372 Anyways, I will update you on those trips when I get back, probably on Sunday. Bye!

No comments: