Thursday, April 5, 2007

Week 7: Catch Up

Oh what a week. I guess a lot can happen when you leave the country for 2 weeks... oh wait... I have been out of the country for nearly 2 months now! It feels a little early to be doing this post because Greece carried over into this week a bit, but I'll go ahead and knock it out anyways.

This week was really busy for me. I got home from Greece on Monday and procrastinated until Tuesday night (writing blog posts, facebooking, doing laundry, sewing country patches onto my backpack, etc). I was pretty tired so I think it was a semi-acceptable use of time. Oh, on Tuesday I also sucked it up and bought a new digital camera. Its the same kind, but a new model... I don't really like it as well. Plus it was 300 dollars! Technology is way more expensive here. At least I can use all my accesories still (ie camera charger, spare battery, case, etc) Tuesday night I had to work on the America country presentation that we had on Wednesday night... also I had to study for a test in Czech class that we had on Wednesday and do some work for studio on Thursday since I hadn't even started my project yet. So all through Tuesday night and Wednesday I was running... and then of course we all got pretty smashed on Wednesday night because that is the point of the country presentations sadly. Here are some snapshots from early in the evening...

The other erasmus students before the presentation started. There were a lot more later, but this is still early and everyone here is on Europe time. You can see my shoulder on the left side... ie proof that I was there. PS this is the club in the basement of our dorm... craziness.

Me and the guys... sporting my new Greek tan :)

I just got done eating a sandwich from Delvita (the grocery store) for lunch... we are talking slices of cheese with little cheese wedges and sliced hard boiled eggs on a wheat bun with some mysterious orange colored spread... and Bohemia Chipsys flavored Pikantni paprika and Coke light. Not the most scrumptious lunch ever, but it will hold me over until dinner. Actually the chips are really good. So when I get back to the US here are the foods I am eating STAT: Chipotle, Tokyo Joe's, TACO BELL, thin crust vegetarian pizza, and some really amazing mexican food with that good red sauce... mmm. I also am going to have to locate some Greek restaurants asap.

As everyone probably knows this weekend is easter. What you probably don't know is that easter is a time to drink in this country. Its a little weird, but this is my understanding of Czech easter tradition: first off, nobody does any work for like 5 days... Thursday through Monday. Like people are skipping school today and its all out cancelled on Monday. Ok so anyways, the boys decorate sticks and the girls decorate eggs. Then the guys go around door to door and hit the girls with the sticks, and we are supposed to give them eggs and shots... its so random. I'm a little scarred, but since I am in the dorm maybe nobody will beat me.

Next weekend (13-15th of April) I am going to Krakow with ISC. It should be really cool... here is the hoaky isc description:
International Student Club at CTU and polish international student club inKrakow prepared for you really great trip to the nicest polish city. We will visit Krakow with its beatiful squares and old picturesque buildings. We will also visit a polish concentration camp in Auschwitz. And we cannot forget for the amazing and huge salt mine near Krakow where the monumental halls, rooms, tunnels and small lakes are made ... everything many metres under the Earth`s surface. You will feel like in huge halls of mysterious dwarfs. Enjoy the amazing Krakow atmosphere!
...I think its funny.

Here are some pictures taken with the new camera (the ones above are from a friend). First is a church around the corner from where I live that I saw on my way back from Laundry King...

Second is my plant, Vaclav Klaus in his place on my desk. I named him after the president of the Czech Republic. But I think most people prefer the plant to the person. :) Also notice I was facebooking... so typical.

Um score... this new camera automatically rotates my photos!! I am liking it better already... :)

Last thing... I heart my flatmates. Its so fun living with people with different customs than you. It makes every day a suprise. :) Granted, not all the suprises are fun, but at least it keeps things interesting!

No comments: